Braised Lamb Shanks in Cabernet Wine Sauce -
Enjoy this wonderfully fragrant lamb dish with our new 2005 Estate Cabernet Sauvignon. Serves 6.
- 6 Small Lamb Shanks ~ visible fat removed
- Salt & Pepper ~ to taste
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1⁄2 pound Brown Mushrooms ~ stemmed
- 1⁄2 pound Shitake Mushrooms
- 10 cloves Garlic ~ split
- 6 large Shallots ~ split
- 3 cups Chicken Stock (or low-sodium chicken broth)
- 1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon (San Marcos Creek, of course)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Rosemary
- 2 Bay Leaves
1. Season shanks with salt and pepper to taste. Heat olive oil in roasting pan just large enough to hold shanks in single layer over medium-high heat.
2. Add shanks and sear on all sides, 5 to 8 minutes total. Transfer to platter. Halve or quarter mushrooms if large. Add brown and shitake mushrooms, garlic and shallots to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
3. Add stock, Cabernet, rosemary and bay leaves. Bring to boil, scraping any bits sticking to pan. Add shanks. Cover with tight-fitting lid or foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, and then turn shanks.
4. Continue baking until meat is tender and just starting to loosen from bone, 45 to 75 minutes.
5. Set pan on counter until meat is cool enough to handle. De-fat cooking juices by pouring into fat separator and skimming top layer.
6. Pour some of sauce over shanks and arrange mushrooms on and around meat.